We’re all about making New Year’s resolutions that actually stick, and if eating better was one of yours, this tasty recipe is sure to help you along you way. Chicken salad has always been one of our go to’s, but traditionally it’s drowning in mayo. So we put a spin on the classic in this easy to whip up 10 minute recipe.
For a light and tasty twist, we opted to use chickpeas as the base for this salad, but if you’re craving a more classic chicken salad recipe, you can easily swap or add shredded chicken. Also instead of serving on toasted bread, we recommend using crisp butter lettuce cups, which can even be rolled up and enjoyed on the go as a wrap!
Yields: 12+ lettuce cups (3-4 portions)
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Blue Moose Organic Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 3 – 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- serve with: butter lettuce leaves, pita/flatbread/naan, dill, grape/cherry tomatoes, etc.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash chickpeas with a fork, so most are mashed (about 3/4). Scoop away some of the chickpea skins. (You don’t need to get them all, but whatever is easy to scoop and remove from the top.)
- Add in the hummus and 3-4 tablespoons oil. Stir to combine.
- Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Taste and add more olive oil, salt, and pepper as desired. The texture should not be dry at all, but final amount of oil varies on preference and dryness of chickpeas.
- Serve in lettuce cups with desired toppings.