Pasta salad is a backyard BBQ classic – and while we love this summer staple, we hate the idea of mayo heavy dressings, so we gave this recipe a healthy twist. We promise it’s got all the flavor and rich creaminess you’re looking for, with a bonus of added protein. So go ahead, grab another scoop, it’s guilt-free.
The mayo-free dressing could not be easier to whip up; it’s a combination of organic hummus, extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. The result is a bright and citrusy dressing that complements the summer veggies perfectly. We recommend cooking the pasta aldente for some added crunch, plus it will soften as it marinates with the dressing.
- 12oz dry pasta, cooked and cooled according to package directions
- 1/2 cup Blue Moose of Boulder Organic Original Hummus
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 handfuls baby greens, chopped
- optional toppings: feta, red onion, parsley, lemon wedge
- Place hummus, oil, lemon juice, water, garlic, and salt in a jar. Shake vigorously until fully combined. Taste and add more lemon juice or oil if desired. If the dressing is too thick, add another tablespoon of water and shake.
- Place pasta, olives, tomatoes, and baby greens in a large mixing bowl. Combine with dressing and gently toss until fully coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add additional toppings as desired.
- Serve at room temp or chilled.
*If desired, you can make this 4 to 6 hours ahead of time and store the pasta salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator. If the pasta seems dry afterward, just drizzle with a bit of olive oil and/or a squeeze of lemon and toss again.