Shakshuka is a classic Middle Eastern breakfast dish that consists of poaching eggs in a smoky, spicy tomato based sauce. If you’re not familiar, get ready to add a new recipe to your rotation. Not only is it fun to say… shack-shoe-kah …but it’s a totally customizable comfort food dish. In this recipe, we added roasted red pepper hummus for a creamy twist.
While we’re always partial to protein based breakfasts, we especially love those made in one pan! The add of hummus in this sauce provides a nice heartiness and the fresh parsley brings a bright note to round out the tomato sauce. This is the perfect meal to make for a group, especially when served with pita or toasted challah bread for dunking and dipping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1, 12oz jar roasted red bell pepper strips (or whole roasted pepper, sliced)
- 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1, 24oz jar marinara sauce (or spicy marinara, garlic, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Blue Moose Organic Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 4 large eggs
- Toppings: feta, parsley, black pepper
- Heat a 10 or 12-inch cast iron pan (or oven-safe pan) over medium heat with the oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until well softened.
- Stir in the pepper strips, olives, and marinara.
- Stir in the hummus.
- Taste and add a pinch more salt if needed.
- With a spoon, create a small well and slowly pour in 1 egg. Do this 3 more times.
- Turn oven on to broil.
- Cover pan with a lid, reduce heat to low, and cook until whites are starting to set about 5-7 minutes. Check at 4 minutes to see where they’re at.
- Place pan (uncovered) under the broiler and cook until eggs are done to your liking, about 1-2 minutes. Watch closely, as they will cook very fast!
- Top with parsley, feta, and black pepper.
- Serve immediately with pita and hummus.